Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I am THAT mom...

You know, the kind that makes conventional neighbors want to put up a fence so their kids can't see how much fun we're having at 9pm on a school night... doing shoulderstands with each other and looking like carny folk.

I'm that mom who cut my hair off and dyed my bangs green just like my daughters because we all thought it was fun.

I'm that mom who knows how to make delicious food from scratch and grow beautiful, nutritious food that everyone loves. I'm that mom who doesn't always have the energy to do that anymore but who finds the time to nourish one child's desire to learn to do it for herself.

I'm that mom who always takes my children seriously as the fully-formed people they are and encourages exploration of their own life paths even when they differ from my own. I'm that mom who always views my children with eyes of amazement and wonder at the people they are and the people they are becoming.

I'm that mom who no longer has small, dependent children and is grateful for this next phase of our lives that allows me more time and space to explore who I am and who I'm growing into.

I'm that mom who dances like a crazy fool to the Black Eyed Peas even though I don't like their music all that much.

I'm that mom who will go rock climbing, kayaking and surfing with her kids even though I'm old and not that great at it. And I'm that mom who will free climb half way up a rock when a child gets scared to talk them down and reassure them even though I'm afraid of heights.

I'm that mom who follows her passions fully and freely and invites her children along for the ride.

I'm that mom who's learning to play a musical instrument for the first time in her life and loving the passion for music my kids are developing alongside me. I'm that mom who buys her kids a ukulele and a djembe and a keyboard so we can make crazy mishmosh music together without harping on them to practice.

I'm that mom who plays World of Warcraft and runs dungeons with her kids and enthusiastically shows them her new drake mount and lets them fly it all around. I'm that mom who will spend her morning helping a child level up a character while they sleep soundly in their beds.

I'm that mom who's cool and kinda crazy and will talk openly, honestly, and from the heart about anything and everything, admitting freely that I don't have all the answers but that I'll always have a whole lot of love and compassion.

I'm that mom who always lets her kids play in her closet and dress up in her clothes.

I'm that mom who no matter where we are or where we go will always give her children a sense of home and comfort in her hug.

I'm exactly that mom I always said I'd be even when my own mother told me it would never happen and I'd know better once I had my own children.

16 comments:

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

"I'm that mom who always takes my children seriously as the fully-formed people they are and encourages exploration of their own life paths even when they differ from my own. I'm that mom who always views my children with eyes of amazement and wonder at the people they are and the people they are becoming." Just <3 this.

Silvia said...

And Emily and I can't wait to spend time with THAT mom next week!

Lisa said...

love it!!!!! :)

Sarah said...

Loved this.

As I read over these I see so many things I could have included in mine. Yours brought to mind "I'm that mom that lets her kids write all over their skin, doesn't get mad when they cut their own hair, and lets them dye it whatever color they want."

I do hope to meet you someday. Your writings about your son are helping me immensely with my third child as he navigates his little life.

Ronnie said...

Beautiful, Danielle! So glad you joined us.

Flo said...

You're like the perfect mom, except like us all, you're not. And that makes you wonderful in every way. :)

gail said...

You are just one of my favorite Moms!
This was awesome <3

Anonymous said...

Wow, I absolutely and completely love this post! I'm all teary-eyed! I too am the Mom my own Mom told me was unrealistic when I insisted that's the Mom I would be :) Rock on "that" Mom! I'm "that" reader who says "goodonya!" Love it! xo

Desiree said...

Excellent!! just... excellent!

HeatherRea1111 said...

YES!
YES!
YES!
And <3!

piscesgrrl said...

I'm glad you're that mom you always thought you'd be even though your mom said you wouldn't. Or something. :) And thx for always sharing the wise words with us!

1redhead said...

When you said that about your mom, I got chills. So amazing what we've come from and now can celebrate. I want to know if she sees you now. Hugs and kisses to you.

Alison

Heather said...

These "that mom" blog posts just got more and more awesome as time went by. <3

Rachel said...

rock on! You've got 3 lucky kiddos!
Rach, a girl who found you under a search for unschooling blogs ;)

Anonymous said...

Interesting what you think the neighbors feel about your family. The reality is rather than envy your children they pity them as neglected waifs. "I am THAT mom" is viewed as that lazy self indulgent woman not willing to put in the time,effort,and work involved in parenting. From your blog posting it appears you fall into the classic, I want to be my children's friend, mothering type. The conventional neighbors believe children already have friends, but need a mother. They don't believe children are fully formed people but individuals that need to be nutured into adulthood. Let us not forget the lessons from "Lord of the Flies". I believe that is what your mother was trying to explain to you. The conventional mother doesn't care if her children like her for it is more important they mature into responsible contributing members of society. So until your children have met that standard do not be so smug that you have succeeded. The proof is in the pudding and your pudding is not complete.

Kristina said...

I really liked your prose. Some folks don't get that taking a part in your children's life is so fulfilling and not an easy task at that.

I fancied dying my hair purple again but my sons are too conservative : )

Go figure . . .